The Head of Operations at Carlisle will be responsible for driving innovation and change across our contract with Arriva Rail London, to improve operational efficiency and add further value to the services we provide. A key focus of the role will be ensuring that new processes and procedures are effectively implemented and maintained at every level. Our experienced team is dedicated to delivering a first-class service, and we are always seeking new and creative ways to exceed our clients' expectations - are you the leader who can drive this forward.
Carlisle is a rapidly growing business, with revenues increasing threefold in the past five years and set to continue. We provide services to a range of high profile and market leading clients across the UK. We are experts in our chosen fields, focusing on the provision of cleaning, security, events, and retail support services. We work in fast-paced, highly collaborative, innovative, and customer-focused environments, empowering our people to deliver exceptional outcomes.
We are particularly proud of our experience within rail, where we work in partnership with a large number of Train Operating Companies across the country, with over 2,300 family members performing a range of roles across the rail network every day.
Our values, and yours?
- Passionate about the wellbeing of everyone
- Putting our customers at the heart of everything we do
- Delivering on our promises - all the time
- Supporting everyone to be sector-based experts
What you'll do
Be the primary point of contact for Contract Managers within the division for resolving operational challenges that cannot be resolved at the contract level
Management of the supply chain that supports the operational performance of each individual contract via the Procurement Team.
Your Essential Responsibilities will involve, but not be limited to these core elements:
- Provide strategic link between SLT and contract teams to ensure organisation vision and goals are achieved and adhered to.
- Lead and manage change, support contract teams to understand organisational vision and ensure clarity and compliance.
- Customer/Stakeholder - Develop and continuously review Strategic Contract Development Plans to ensure operational excellence, provide evidenced based data on performance progress, provide feedback on operational success, and have courage to highlight opportunities, identify and lead continuous improvement.
- Continuous review of internal organisation process, identify efficiencies and collaborate with central support team to increase productivity and control operating costs.
- Accountable for financial oversight of contracts, monitor and improve performance.
- Provide clear and consistent leadership for contract management team, aligned with organisation vision and strategy.
- Accountable for ensuring contract management team deliver
- Develop re-tender plan for each contract.
- Build long term strategic customer relationships, regularly attend customer KPI meetings, nurture positive, trust-based relationships with all clients.
- Manage budgets and deliver financial targets.
- Ensure preparation of monthly KPI packs for the client in line with contractual requirements
- Work closely with other heads of operations to share best practice and improve efficiency.
- Ensure direct reports have regular performance conversations, monthly job chat and reviews in line with company policy.
- Recruitment and training of contract management team.
- Create a culture in which we Celebrate Success and reward good performance.
- Accountable to ensure contract management team:
- Ensuring contract management team have completed a Customer Temp Check each month across all contracts. Review performance and take action to resolve any concerns raised.
- Attend contract review meetings for all key contracts in area and input into quarterly strategic meetings.
- Support contract management team to create a Contract Development Plan for all contracts to focus on service improvement, staff development and welfare, and financial status of the contract in terms of increased revenues and profitability, review performance monthly and to action to address any concerns.
- Conduct monthly calls with finance team to prepare the period P&L with Managing Director
- Ensure all POs are submitted on time and accurately by all managers / support staff in the region.
- Support development of pragmatic working relationship with any associated unions
- Establish and encourage proactively working relationships with police, emergency services, local CTSA team and client stakeholders.
- Establish and encourage proactive working relationships with the key client stakeholders and local community.
What you'll need
- Customer focused - proven ability to build and sustain positive and effective working relationships.
- Proven Stakeholder management skills
- Senior management experience and proven leadership and people management skills
- Planning and strategic development experience
- Financial planning and budget control experience.
- Experience on delivering change and maintaining positive working relationships.
- Analytical and able to find simple, creative solutions to problems and identify opportunities to improve operational performance.
- SIA Licensed- essential for all Security portfolios.
- Excellent understanding of the UK Security industry
- Good understanding of Rail Sector where relevant
- IOSH Certificate or equivalent
- Excellent communication skills - articulate and focussed, proficient written skills, active listener. Keen commercial skills with the ability to understand and control a P&L.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Must hold a full UK driving license.
- Flexibility around working hours and patterns.
What we'll give you
The opportunity to thrive and be your best self, to learn and develop through accredited training, to progress your career and to gain reward and recognition for excellence. Some of our other benefits include:
- 4% matched pension (after qualifying period)
- Medical Cover
- Life Assurance 2x annual salary
- 23 days holiday rising to 25 after two years' service
- Health and Wellbeing Plans
- Discounts and Cashbacks
- Paid Volunteering days
- Employee Assistance Program
- Refer a Friend Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
We're committed to continually developing and improving our package of pay and benefits, ensuring we continue to attract and retain the best people. We're also committed to providing ways to enhance the health, wellbeing, and quality of life for all our colleagues.