The Channel Tunnel is one of the biggest engineering projects ever undertaken in the UK. Taking more than five years to complete, with more than 13,000 workers from England and France collaborating to realise the vision, the tunnel has been named one of the seven wonders of the modern world. The Eurotunnel Freight provides the quickest way to cross the Channel with a truck. Each step of the journey is designed to maximise the utilisation of vehicles with minimum stoppage time, with no requirement to book a specific departure time. Today, as thousands of passengers take the Eurotunnel le Shuttle under the Channel every year, it can be easy to take for granted this extraordinary and unique man-made feat.
In mid-February 2017, Carlisle Support Services were awarded the Freight and Traffic Management contracts at Eurotunnel Folkestone. The award was to provide Safety Agents to ensure that commercial vehicles travelling on the Freight Shuttles are chocked and unchocked and that fire safety checks completed on loading in accordance with Eurotunnel procedures.
The mobilisation was conducted over a six week period and faced the following challenges:
• TUPE Transfer of 138 Operatives
• Recruitment of 24 new employees.
• Counter Terrorism Security Clearance for Site Access to ET- DFT Clearance Requirements
• Compilation of Complex RAMS compliant to Eurotunnel and DFT requirements.
• 28 Day TUPE Process upon release of the incumbents ELI Data
• IT Installation of ASDL arrangement for Broadband
• Medicals incorporating ECG testing and Drug and Alcohol Testing for all personnel performing safety critical roles.
• Provision of six, seven seat MPV Fleet Delivery and Livery within six weeks.
• £38k spend on Uniforms and rebranding achieved within 3 weeks
• Recognition of exiting Unite Union Agreements
• Wage alignment and facilitating of bridge loans to ease the employees to a monthly wage structure
• Low staff morale from Incumbents lack of staff engagement.
Since the contract commenced in March 2017 and the client has seen a significant improvement in staff morale, site management engagement and the provision
of essential MI. We believe this to be a prime reflection of Carlisle’s ability to support Eurotunnel through such a quick transition which has regenerated a sense of drive and enthusiasm across all stakeholders.
Recruitment, training and customer transparency is of paramount importance in order for this successful partnership to be maintained and one which Carlisle will have an absolute devotion to achieve and maintain.
As with all our contracts, Carlisle will provide each client with a monthly Newsletter as to maintain transparency of our service and also sharing all news and good stories with our front line staff.